Day 331- Ugly Win

An ugly win is-- well, ugly-- but it is also a win.  It's a W.  It's a check in the right column and a number added to the right side of the record.  It is not a loss.  It does not leave me sad on the couch.  As the Big Ten Network announcers spent their time kissing Purdue hiney this afternoon and applauding their moral victory, I was applauding our animal, appalling, awful, bad-looking, beastly, deformed, disfigured, foul, frightful, grisly, gross, grotesque, hard-featured, hideous, homely, horrid, ill-favored, loathsome, misshapen, monstrous, not much to look at, plain, repelling, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, unbeautiful, uncomely, uninviting, unlovely, unprepossessing, unseemly, unsightly (thank you thesaurus.com) UGLY win.  Why?  Say it with me now... because it was a win!!!

Sure, we had more turnovers than touchdowns.  Yes, we still can't finish a game without a facemask penalty.  And the kicking.  Oh, the kicking.  It was absolutely dreadful.  Tom closed his eyes for one of them.

Here's the thing, though.  Our defense did not allow a touchdown today.  OUR defense.  THIS YEAR's defense.  No touchdown.  That deserves three cheers.  If you would have told me two years ago that we would be disappointed to only score 27 points, I would have laughed.  Even in an ugly game sprinkled with turnovers, we scored 27 points.  Our defense scored seven!  It's time for at least three more cheers.

The final turn-that-frown-upside-down-yay-for-the-win-however-ugly-it-was point I'd like to make is this.  I am now looking into my eligibility to play college football.  I will move back to Ann Arbor, walk onto the team as a kicker, do amazing work, single-handedly turn our special teams around, get drafted, become an NFL star, earn lots of money and Fantasy Football points for my husband (who will inevitably draft me as well), and still remember all of you little people.

Three more cheers for ugly wins and lofty goals :).  It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine.

Thank you, ugly win, you made my day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie