Day 341- Ice Cream Party

We had our ice cream party today in Ac Lab for winning the can drive.  I was really pleased that it was scheduled today because I knew there was no way that I'd get all of my students to do quality work in Ac Lab right before a holiday/long weekend. 

I'm not sure that my class could have been any more excited about that ice cream if they tried.  They were like savages!  We were provided with two gigantic tubs of ice cream, sprinkles, cookies, cherries, toppings, and whipped cream.  They attacked that bar as if they had never eaten before and would never eat again.  One boy, a kid who is usually quite quiet and shy, came and stood next to me.  Grinning, he said, "Look at my bowl... there's not even any ice cream in it this time!"  I looked down and noticed that this was no joke.  His bowl was pure whipped cream, sprinkles, and toppings.  This concoction was smeared all over his face, and there was a twinkle in his eye that I had never seen before.

At the end of the day, I asked the sugar-filled kids to please apologize to their parents tonight for me while they were bouncing off the walls and to thank them for buying the cans.  As they left clutching their bowls full of seconds- thirds, even- I said a small prayer for their bus drivers and parents and felt thankful that I was neither of those things at that point in time.

Believe it or not, we had all kinds of leftovers.  I did the rounds inviting all of the other teachers to come have a sweet treat in my room to kick off the long weekend.  When I returned to my room, I found another teacher from my team eating directly from one of the gallons, polishing it off.  She too had a little smeared here and a little smeared there on her face, and it made me smile.  I suppose we never grow out of that, eh?

Thank you, ice cream party, you made my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie