The connection between last year's entry and today's donation may be a bit suspect. The charity, however, is not. Since I wrote about one of my favorite episodes of Friends, I thought about finding some sort of charity that had the word friends in it or had something to do with friends. I remembered back to last year. In the homecoming parade at SCWHS, there was one float that confused me. It was for the "Friends of Rachel" group. I wondered who exactly this Rachel chick was and how she managed to get her own float and why everyone wanted to be her friend.
It turns out that the Rachel in this situation is Rachel Scott, the first victim in the Columbine High School shooting. After her death, many of her journals and writings were found and shared, and they proved to be quite inspirational for those around her. An organization was created in her honor named Rachel's Challenge, and clubs have sprung up in schools all over the country in connection with this. It is truly a beautiful thing.
We exist to inspire, equip and empower every person to create a permanent positive culture change in their school, business and community by starting a chain reaction of kindness and compassion.
Rachel’s Challenge Objectives for Schools:
- Create a safe learning environment for all students by re-establishing civility and delivering proactive antidotes to school violence and bullying.
- Improve academic achievement by engaging students’ hearts, heads and hands in the learning process.
- Provide students with social/emotional education that is both colorblind and culturally relevant.
- Train adults to inspire, equip and empower students to affect permanent positive change.
P.S. There is a character in Friends named Rachel. I'm just saying...
Last night was a date night in with myself, and that turned out to be kind of nice. Tonight was Girl's Night Out with some oh so lovely ladies, and that was even better. Why? Thanks for asking.
- We had tacos and salad and animated conversation for dinner.
- We headed out to Harpo's, a karaoke bar, for more fun.
- There was excellent people watching. Sequins and fishnets and pink lace... and that was just one person's outfit!
- Good karaoke and bad karaoke.
- Smoking is no longer allowed inside in St. Louis County. Wahoo!
- More people watching.
- More animated conversations, laughter, and good girl time :).
Thank you, Harpo's, you made my day.