American Country Music Awards, that is.
Some of the first music I ever loved was country music. I can still sing along with every song on the Randy Travis "Storms of Life" record thanks to my dad playing it on repeat when we were growing up. I went through a phase where I wasn't so found of country, but my sister brought me out of it by making me listen to her Dixie Chicks tape so many times in the car that she wore it out- literally. One day, probably around round 1,452, she popped it in, and we heard "wiiiiiiiiiiiddeeeeeeeeee opennnnnnnnn spaaaaaaaaaaces" all slow and horror movielike. I pretended to cheer, but by then I was back in love with country music, and I was sad that the dang tape was toast too.
I was delighted to discover when I got home from a long day at work that the ACM Awards were on tonight. I enjoy other awards shows for the glitz and the glamour and the "What will they do next?" moments, but country music awards are so much more than that. They are filled with partying good times and wonderfully honest moments. Country music has room for everyone- artists fresh off the farm, artists formerly known as Hootie, artists discovered on American Idol. Short, bald men in tight jeans and women in ball gowns with gravity defying hair ("the taller the hair, the closer to God") and men in overalls and barefoot women all perform and are honored on the same stage. Country music doesn't care, as long as you have a good story and know how to tell it.
I enjoyed so much of tonight's show, but there were a few fabulous highlights:
- Miranda Lambert's exquisite performance of "The House That Built Me" I can't find it online yet, but here's the music video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYNM6SjD_o&feature=fvsr I adore Miranda and may just become as obsessed with her as I am with Martina McBride (in the least creepy way possible).
- Brooks and Dunn in their final ACM performance of "My Maria" Those guys still got it!
- Brooks and Dunn on their retirement, "We're in therapy with Brett Favre. We're trying to figure out how to waffle our way out of this."
- Carrie Underwood performing "Temporary Home" and graciously accepting her awards
- Brad Paisley accepting an award soaking wet after diving into a pool just moments before. And his paisley guitar. I love his paisley guitar.
- Tim McGraw-- my husband has a man crush. It's funny.
- Reba. Something about her just makes me laugh (or everything about her).
Thank you, ACM Awards, you made my day.