Day 241- Matisyahu

I found a new favorite American Hasidic Jewish reggae musician.  His name is Matthew Paul Miller, but he goes by the Hebrew name Matisyahu.  Yes, he beats out all of the other American Hasidic Jewish reggae musicians in the world to be my favorite.  That's big stuff.

The actual music that he makes is outstanding.  It's hard to describe the blend because there are so many different things going on to make it unique and wonderful.  Wikipedia calls it "the contemporary styles of rap, beatboxing, and hip-hop in general, with the more traditional vocal disciplines of jazz's scat singing and Judaism's hazzan style of songful prayer—more often than not all rolled into a dominant background of reggae music."  Hmm.  Yeah.  I don't know what it is, but I like it.  It's as simple as that.

I'm also a sucker for some good lyrics, and the lyrics to this strange yet awesome mishmash of styles are meaninful and inspirational.  They read like poetry.

One Day

sometimes I lay
under the moon
and thank God I'm breathing
then I pray
don't take me soon
cause I am here for a reason

sometimes in my tears I drown
but I never let it get me down
so when negativity surrounds
I know some day it'll all turn around
because

all my life I've been waiting for
I've been praying for
for the people to say
that we don't wanna fight no more
there'll be no more wars
and our children will play

one day

it's not about
win or lose
we all lose
when they feed on the souls of the innocent
blood drenched pavement
keep on moving though the waters stay raging
in this maze you can lose your way (your way)
it might drive you crazy but don't let it faze you no way (no way)

one day this all will change
treat people the same
stop with the violence
down with the hate
one day we'll all be free
and proud to be
under the same sun
singing songs of freedom like


one day



Listen to it here!
Thank you, Matisyahu, you made my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie