Day 166- The Art of Racing in the Rain

My mom recommended this book to me a while back and let me borrow it.  At the time, I wasn't doing a whole lot of reading for pleasure.  Lately, I have, in fact, been doing a lot of reading for pleasure.  I love the summertime :).

I decided to start The Art of Racing in the Rain today in the hopes that I would be able to return it to my mom when I see her briefly this weekend.  I finished it.  Within a few hours.  All 318 pages of it.

I enjoyed the book while I was outside soaking up some sun (with sunscreen on, of course).
I enjoyed it while I did a few loads of laundry.
I enjoyed it while I made dinner.
I enjoyed it while my husband giggled at some silly something or other on tv.

Then I cried.  Not since Bridge to Terabithia (one of my all time favorites) have I really cried while reading a book.  What a phenomenal story.

I had put off reading the book because Mom told  me that it was told from the point-of-view of a dog.  I wasn't so sure about that, but it ended up being one of the biggest reasons why I liked the book.  Tom and I often enjoy making up our own versions of what General is thinking and what he would say if he could talk, and this was a whole book of Garth Stein doing just that... and doing it oh so well.

I don't want to say too much because you should really just read it.  There was one passage so amusing that I read it out loud to Tom, and he laughed until he was red in the face.  And, of course, there was that one spot that made me feel a little mushy.  It was so good that I am writing about the book instead of about Will seducing Sue to "Tell Me Something Good" on Glee (although that was pretty dang great too). 

Thank you, The Art of Racing in the Rain, you made my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie