Day 168- Dizzy Up the Girl

The eight hour drive back to Michigan is like a marathon.  I've never actually run a marathon (although this is one of my life goals... even though this would require me to actually start running again, but that's neither here nor there).  However, I can imagine that it is like a marathon.  Even as you near the finish, you're still thinking to yourself 25 down... yes!  Oh... man... I still have to run one more mile?  Crap.  And so it is with the drive...

With about seven hours down and only one left to go... one LONG hour... I found something fabulous to help us reach the finish line.  From the depths of my car (which is not even messy, by the way), I found my long lost favorite Goo Goo Dolls cd, Dizzy Up the Girl.  I was so excited that I jumped up and down in my seat, and I may have even squealed.  Thankfully, it was Tom's turn to drive, so the car stayed on the road. 

This is one of my favorite albums of all time.  I could give you a million reasons for this, but the thirteen songs on it probably cover my love pretty well.  Dizzy... Slide... Black Balloon... Iris... Acoustic #3...  It's like calling up an old familiar friend I haven't talked to in a while and picking up right where we left off.  When I listen to the album, I can anticipate the track that is coming next, the verse that is coming next, the word that is coming next.  While this may not have been the most enjoyable experience for Tom in the car (listening to me sing every word of all thirteen songs), it was really quite nice for me and helped me get through the drive.

When the Goo Goo Dolls were at the height of their popularity, my sister and I went to see them in concert all over the state of Michigan.  I even saw them at the Jackson County Fair!  I was that silly girl at the concert who allowed herself to believe, if only for a moment, that Johnny Rzeznik was singing directly to me in the cheap seats.  He totally was.

The Goo Goo Dolls are releasing another album this year and going on tour again... OMG.  They will even be in St. Charles... OMG squared.  It is on a school night, but I might just have to go anyway.  Until then, we'll always have Dizzy Up the Girl, Johnny.   

Thank you, Dizzy Up the Girl, you made my day.

UPDATE: TOM AND I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS TO SEE THE GOO GOO DOLLS IN CONCERT IN AUGUST.  YES, I AM YELLING.  NO, I AM NOT SORRY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie