Day 130- Central Institute for the Deaf and "Born This Way"

I had the somewhat frightening task of teaching with hand signals only at this time last year.  My voice had left me, and I was trying to complete my last few days of student teaching.  Slowing down was not an option.  Luckily, my kids responded well to the hand signals, and it taught me some new teaching skills.  My voice returned for my last two days.  I was thankful to have the opportunity to say all of the things I wanted to say to my kids before I left.

My donation today was made to help people who need to successfully navigate the world with their hands much of the time.  Their hand signals form the majority of their communication system, and I'm sure I could learn a lot from that.  The Central Institue for the Deaf helps this population in a number of important ways.

Since its founding in 1914, Central Institute for the Deaf (CID) has demonstrated that regardless of how severe their hearing impairment, children can learn to speak and to understand the speech of others when early and appropriate education is provided. Today, cochlear implants and powerful digital hearing aids, combined with educational techniques developed at CID, are enabling more children to learn to listen, talk, read and succeed academically. CID teachers and audiologists are experts at helping deaf and hearing-impaired children gain the best possible benefit from today's rapidly changing technologies. We offer a language-rich, assessment-based educational program individualized to help every child achieve success.

http://www.cid.edu/home.aspx

******



They did it again on "Glee" with a fabulous version of a fabulous song.  I have been excited lately that the show seems to have gotten back to being more plot driven.  I greatly appreciated the fact that this song was not just thrown in there because it is popular.  Rather, it was a perfect addition to what was happening with the characters throughout the episode.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the t-shirts each character wore and the whole idea behind them.  Brittany's "I'm with stoopid" was genius!

Thank you, "Born This Way", you made my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie