Day 140- V-Day and "Flowers"

I adore Law and Order: SVU.  I know it's kind of strange to really enjoy a show about violence against special victims, but it is a fascinating glimpse into a world that is completely foreign to me.  I wrote about my love for the show last year (and for my love of the show's Detective Staebler, which still exists).  It's fun to watch because it's not at all real to me.

The scary thing is that many of the episodes seem as if they are ripped from real headlines.  I often recognize the stories as being at least partially real, and this kind of violence does exist in the real world, even if it has not invaded my own little world.  That's why I donated to V-Day today.

http://www.vday.org/home

Founded in 1998, V-Day is a global movement to stop violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM) and sexual slavery. Through V-Day campaigns, local volunteers and college students produce annual benefit performances of 'The Vagina Monologues' to raise awareness and funds for anti-violence groups within their own communities. In addition V-Day stages large-scale benefits and produces innovative gatherings, films and campaigns to educate and change social attitudes towards violence against women.


******

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here (but I might), and I should probably warn that it is about to get corny up in here.

I had some "rain" this week.  The awesome thing about having "rain" in my life is that it always seems to be followed by all kinds of "flowers".  Some of the first flowers to turn this week around were... well, the actual flowers I blogged about yesterday.  Since I reached my breaking point a few days ago, I have been overwhelmed by all sorts of nice little blooms in my life.

I don't mean to take the easy way out here, but I'd kind of like to keep these things close to my heart.  I asked God to help me find my way back to my positive, happy self, and the results were almost instantaneous.  I've been finding bits of wonderful in every single place I look.  I look forward to continuing to share all of the beauty that exists in the world.

I will share just one little tidbit from today.  I had a friend tell me today that she thinks I'm the nicest person she knows.  I completely disagree with her, so let's make that clear.  I suppose it's possible that she just doesn't know many nice people.  That's the only thing I can come up with.  Anyway... even though I disagree, I think that is still one of best compliments I could receive.  I want to be nice and genuine and thoughtful.  I'm oh so pleased that someone else sees me in that way.  I'll take it!

Thank you, "flowers", you made my day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie