Day 134- Early Morning and The Barbras

It's interesting how things work out sometimes.  On this day last year, I was thankful for my sleep.  I gave up my sleep this year to donate my time.  Good timing!

I chaperoned my first field trip today.  We went to Springfield, Illinois to see all of the Lincoln historical sites.  We toured his office, his home, and his museum.  It was pretty cool to walk around and see everything!  It was almost equally as cool that a bunch of eighth graders cared enough to give up their Saturday to pay to go on a field trip that was not required.  I was willing to donate my one day of sleeping in and me time to help out on the trip.  Again, I suppose this must mean that I love my job.

******
I knew that all of the historical things I saw today would be cool.  I love museums, and I definitely get wrapped up in the whole oooh-I'm-standing-where-so-and-so-stood business.  It was a fun time for a dork like me. 

What I was not expecting today was for the kids to be so good.  I suppose that I should have realized that they'd be good since they were the kinds of kids who would give up their Saturdays for something like this, but still.  Sure, a few of them may have gotten on our nerves a bit, but there were no incidents.  It was smooth sailing!

The Barbras made my day even better.  This is kind of a long story, but I'll try to abbreviate it to important details only.  I like to play music while my students are working, and my song of the day on Friday had been "Barbra Streisand".



The kids loved it, especially because some of them had just gotten to know the song on Glee.  Because they liked the song so much, my group decided that they would be named "The Barbras" and asked me to call them this the whole day.  So I did.  It cracked me up each and every time I said it because they totally responded to it.  The Barbras stayed today through the entire Lincoln Museum.  The Barbras pumped their fists together while we waited for other groups outside the Lincoln home.  The Barbras were the first group back on the bus because they stayed so organized.  The Barbras were well-behaved and adorable, making me one lucky chaperone!

Thank you, Barbras, you made my day.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rebound

Day 359- Cousin Eddie